Tuition, fees, & housing details

Printer-friendly version

Information on this page:

Student accounts & ROSI

Tuition fees for all students in iSchool degree programs, and for Special Students, are administered by University of Toronto Student Accounts. Every student at the iSchool has a student account.

This office, also known as the Fees Office, is responsible for:  

  • Managing student accounts  
  • Tuition fees
  • Ancillary fees
  • Processing payments
  • Issuing refunds
  • Applying service charges

All fees and charges posted to your student account are payable.

To review your account balance and invoice:

  • Login to your ROSI account with your student number, which can be found on the letter of admission to the iSchool.
  • You will need your personal identification number (PIN)
  • For the first-time login, the PIN is the student's birthdate in the form: YYMMDD
  • Choose ‘Financial Accounts’.

About ROSI:

ROSI (Repository of Student Information)is part of the University of Toronto Student Web Service (SWS). It contains data relating to student admission information and academic performance at the University of Toronto. This online system is also used when students enrol in courses, vote in student elections, order transcripts, and update addresses. 

New students must sign-up on on ROSI.  For help with ROSI, see:

About registration:

Payment of fees does not constitute registration. Registration is a separate process conducted at the iSchool at beginning of September.

Tuition fees for domestic students

  • Tuition fees are set in the summer prior to the beginning of Fall Session
  • They are based on the length of the program to which a student is admitted
  • Consult tuition fee schedules.  Choose the appropriate dates, then select the Faculty of Information.

Tuition fees for international students

  • International students are normally required to pay higher fees than Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents
  • Consult tuition fee schedules. Choose the appropriate dates, then select the Faculty of Information.

Incidental & Tech Fund fees

Incidental fees

All students must pay incidental fees for services and resources such as:

  • Hart House – centre for social, art & culture, and recreational activities for the U of T community
  • Graduate Students’ Union – representing the 17,000+ U of T graduate students. Fees are set by graduate student members
  • Health Services – medical and psychological services for students
  • Student councils: MI student council (MISC) or the MMSt student council (MSGSA). Fees are set by graduate student members

International students pay additional fees such as the U of T Health Insurance Plan

Incidental fees are compulsory, and are generally posted in late summer, prior to the start of Fall term.

Some components of some student society fees can be refunded upon request within a specific time period.

More information about incidental fees for the current academic year is available

Student Technology Levy

Commonly know as the Student Tech Fund, this is a non-academic incidental fee, binding on all iSchool students, as follows:

  • Full-time: $100 per year
  • Part-time: $50 per year
  • These fees are automatically included in the amount on your fees invoice

About the Student Tech Fund:
In Spring of 1995, the student body passed a referendum voluntarily assessing itself a fee to be used for upgrading technology at the Faculty. iSchool student referendums on the continuance of the Tech Fund are held bi-annually. The most recent referendum was held in March 2011: students voted in favour of Tech Fund fees.

Balance of degree fees

All students must pay a minimum of the degree fee, equivalent to two years of full-time fees.

Students who complete their degree requirements faster than their program length, cannot pay less than the program-length fees stated on their admission letter.

Additional fees may be required, for example:

  • Full-time students who take longer to complete their program than the usual two consecutive years, must pay more than two years of full-time fees
  • Part-time students who take longer to complete their program must pay more

Many part-time students must pay a balance of degree fee prior to graduation e.g., if a part-time student takes four years to finish, they will likely need to pay a balance-of-degree fee.

Although students who have enrolled in both Fall and Winter sessions do not have to pay summer fees, part-time students are strongly encouraged to make a summer payment if they anticipate that they will graduate with a balance of degree fee (i.e., usually in less than six years).

Cumulative program fees are calculated at graduation time. If the total is less than the degree fee, students must pay the balance of the degree fee.     

Fees for final-year PhD students    

Academic fees for full-time, final-year PhD students are pro-rated based on the 12-month academic year.

Incidental fees are charged on a sessional (term) basis.

Consult the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) for more information on academic and incidental fees for PhD students in their final year. See also fee and refund schedules

Service charges & interest

If not paid in full, your outstanding account balance will be subject to a monthly service charge of 1.5% compounded interest, or 19.56% per year.

It is advised that you make monthly payments against your outstanding account balance after you enrol for the upcoming session. This will reduce your account balance and, consequently, the amount of interest owed.

Monthly payments may vary in amount, depending on your financial obligations and personal circumstances.

The University’s Student Accounts Office sends monthly email notices to students with outstanding account balances. Official email communication is done through the University’s UTOR email service, so make sure that your UTOR email address is activated. 

Your account must be paid in full by the end of the Winter Session, i.e., early May. If there is an outstanding balance, you will not be permitted to enrol in future sessions or obtain a transcript.

Accounts that remain overdue for more than 24 months will be sent to a collection agency. This may have a severe impact on your credit rating.

Fee payments   

Fees can be paid at any of the financial institutions approved by UofT. 

If you do not have an account at one of these institutions, you can make a cash/money-order/certified cheque payment at the teller.

You can also pay using telephone or online banking.

You cannot pay by credit or debit card.

For more information, consult the University’s guide to paying tuition and other fees, and the Student Account Office FAQ.

Fee refund schedule

Consult the School of Graduate Studies refund schedules for academic and incidental fees.

Tuition fee deferral

Tuition fees can be deferred, based on four types of special arrangements:

  • Deferral of payment
  • Tuition waivers for staff, or staff dependents
  • Sponsorship by a third party
  • Senior citizens’ program

Unpaid balances from previous sessions must be paid off before financial arrangements for upcoming Fall or Winter sessions can be made.

Arrangements must be authorized by the payment due date printed on your invoice.

Most students defer payment of their fees based on:

  • Fellowships or scholarships:
    • If you are deferring fees based on an award, e.g., the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, submit the Request to Register Without Payment Form
    • This form applies to PhD, MI, and MMSt students with awards
    • Previous names: Tuition Fee Deferral Form;  Request for Fees Arrangement Form
  • OSAP or other Canadian/U.S. government loans:
    • If you have applied for government student assistance, you can defer payment of tuition fees until the money arrives
    • To defer, visit the University’s Student Web Service in mid-July to early August; choose ‘Financial Accounts’, select ‘OSAP/Gov’t Deferral’, and follow the prompts

Housing & other costs

Choice of accommodation is a major factor in establishing the cost of living as a student in Toronto.

Graduate residence

  • Several units at the University’s graduate residence are allocated to the iSchool each year Units are then awarded to incoming students by mid-June, at the discretion of the iSchool Student Services department
  • Students may also apply on their own. Consult Graduate House for details

Housing assistance

  • The University’s Student Housing Service can assist students with finding on or off-campus housing
  • Services include: information about other University residences; finding rental housing; searching rental ads; finding a room-mate; personal assistance; and other resources
  • Some services require a UTORid login
  • If you are a recently admitted full-time student and are not on campus to obtain a UTORid, a guest login can be provided to you, as follows:
    • Fax a copy of your letter of acceptance and a copy of an official photo ID to the Student Housing Office at: 416-978-1616.
    • Use the subject line ‘guest pass needed-recent admit.’
    • Include your contact information.
    • A guest pass will be emailed to you in 2-3 business days.

Students with families can consult the University's Student Family Housing service. Not all residences have dining halls or meal plans.

Cost of living

The following is an estimate of minimum costs for a single student living in Toronto for 12 months, excluding tuition and incidental fees. Figures are based on 2009-2010 information, and account for an adequate, rather than luxurious, standard of living.

  • Accommodation: $10,800.00
  • Food: $4,200.00
  • Clothing: $650.00
  • Local transportation: $1,200.00
  • Books and instruments: $1,000.00
  • Miscellaneous: $2,400.00
  • TOTAL: $20,250.00


  • Accommodation: shared accommodation in a university residence or off-campus, preparing your own meals in either case
  • Clothing: includes one-time purchases, such as a winter coat, and boots
  • Miscellaneous: includes postage, stationery, dry-cleaning/laundry, pharmacy supplies, recreation