April finishers/June 2017 Graduation Information
If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by end of April 2017, you are an “April finisher” and must graduate in June 2017 either in absentia (no ceremony) or with participation in the Convocation ceremony. Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online iSchool Intent to Convocate form between March 1st and April 1st to be reviewed for graduation eligbility.
- Even though you are still currently wrapping up your final courses this winter term, do not wait until your winter grades are available on ACORN (May 17, 2017) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to the iSchool via our ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of April 21st.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around March, you will see Summer 2017 fees posted to your account. Do not pay fees for the Summer 2017 session.
Full-time, Two-year students:
- If you have already paid the Minimum Degree Fee (MDF-equivalent to 2-Years Full-Time fees), you do not pay fees for the Summer 2017 session
- Summer 2017 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed late-April 2017 in the weeks following April 21, 2017 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS, see Academic Dates), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation late-April, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after April 21st to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students who are finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Summer 2017 fees will also be removed late-April 2017, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN - this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for June 2017 convocation: Thursday, March 23, 2017
Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form along with photo ID to SGS Student Academic Services,at 63 St. George Street between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.) OR
- Submit the Office of Convocation Name on Diploma form to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by April 21, 2017. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s convocation [dot] ischoolutoronto [dot] ca account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad will be at the iSchool in April 2017 to take graduation portraits. See the details at: June 2017 graduation portraits at the iSchool and at SGS.
7. June Graduation
Graduation in absentia
See details on how to pick up your diploma as of June 27th
See June 2017 Convocation Ceremony Dates for more information on your convocation ceremony
MI, MMSt and Diploma
Date: Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Time: 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017
Time: 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
Check your email for an invitation to the iSchool’s own Convocation Reception, TBA (normally takes place immediately after the Master’s Convocation Ceremony)
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation's Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages to see when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN. Updated: Gown rental, online RSVP and guest tickets open on May 8, 2017 and close on May 23, 2017.
8. Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of $750 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.