Systems Librarian (Term appointment)
Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives invite applications from qualified candidates for the position of Systems Librarian. This is a non-renewable term appointment at the rank of Assistant Librarian and will be effective as soon as possible. The appointment will end on June 30, 2018.
The successful candidate will ensure the smooth functioning of library systems and will lead the search to replace our current Integrated Library System and the possible addition of a discovery layer. As a member of the team of librarians, the candidate will also contribute to the planning and delivery of library services including reference service and participation in collegial governance by serving on Library and University committees.
Responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing the configuration, implementation, maintenance and upgrading of library systems, authentication and link resolving systems, discovery tools, archiving and repository systems, and other library and archival resources and databases
• Overseeing the migration to a new Integrated Library System
• Monitoring and compiling usage data of electronic resources
• Working with librarian colleagues and staff, faculty and students to identify new tools and solutions that support the teaching, learning and research needs of the Mount Allison community
The successful candidate may also be assigned responsibilities in other areas befitting the Libraries’ priorities and dependent on the successful candidate’s strengths and expertise. Shift duties for reference service may include evenings and weekends.
• ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent degree
• Experience managing library systems
• Knowledge of the delivery of reference service
• Knowledge of or experience in data management and analysis
• Evidence of successful collaboration and leadership
• Strong knowledge of resources and scholarship in library systems with the ability to effectively communicate new developments in this field to library and non-library staff
• Ability to multitask and work in a complex and detailed environment
• Demonstrated skills in project development and implementation
• Demonstrated commitment to patron service
• Strong oral and written communication as well as critical thinking skills
• Knowledge of existing and emerging library technologies
• Enthusiasm for an innovative and changing environment
Additional qualifications (preferred):
• Experience with SirsiDynix systems and / or open source alternatives
• Degree in Science / Computer Science preferred
• Experience providing data-related library services (archiving, preservation, and access to research data)
• Knowledge of or experience in writing custom scripts in one or more computer programming languages
• Experience with collection development, teaching, and providing reference services in an academic library setting
• Demonstrated experience in research, scholarship, or professional development in librarianship/information sciences
• Knowledge of resources and scholarship in science and data preferred
This position is represented by the Mount Allison Faculty Association and participation and involvement in research, creative activity or scholarship, and service to the University are expected. The appointment will be made at the rank of Assistant Librarian. Salary will be within the established range and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Mount Allison University welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified women and men, including aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Canadian and permanent residents should indicate their citizenship or residency status in their application.
Mount Allison University, located in Sackville, New Brunswick, is a leader in providing quality liberal education to undergraduate students in arts, sciences, social sciences, fine arts and music. Mount Allison’s intimate educational environment extends learning beyond the classroom, encouraging the growth of the whole person through a full range of experiences in the campus and community.
The Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives are committed to working with students and faculty in order to meet their academic and research needs. Mount Allison Libraries includes the Ralph Pickard Bell Library which is the main library, the Alfred Whitehead Music Library, and the University Archives. We invite you to look at our website for more information about the Libraries and about the University at www.mta.ca. For further information please consult the following websites:
A cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three referees should be sent to:
David Mawhinney, Chair of the Search Committee
Mount Allison University Libraries and Archives
49 York Street
Sackville, NB E4L 1C6
Fax: (506) 364-2617
Applications will also be accepted in electronic form [pdf format or Microsoft Word] and should be emailed to Carol Wilson, Administrative Assistant, at cwilsonmta [dot] ca. Applicants receiving further consideration may be asked to submit additional information as needed.
Review of applications will begin on February 28, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Hiring is subject to budgetary approval.