PART-TIME COURSE LOADS
|Current policy (2014 onward)|
|♦ Fall session: Sept-Dec||
1.0 FCE maximum in each session:
Fall or Winter or Summer
3.0 FCE in total over all sessions:
Fall & Winter & Summer
|♦ Winter session: Jan-Apr||1.0 FCE|
|♦ Summer session: May-Aug||1.0 FCE|
|Admitted in 2013||Admitted before 2013|
|Registration status prior to Fall 2013 session||---||Part-time or Full-time|
|Registration status in Fall 2013 session: started in 2013 with continuing part time registration||Part-time||Part-time|
|2013-14 Academic Year [see notes below]|
|♦ Fall session: Sept-Dec||1.0 FCE||1.0 FCE|
|♦ Winter session: Jan-Apr||1.0 FCE||1.0 FCE|
|♦ Summer session: May-Aug||1.0 FCE||1.0 FCE|
Part-Time Registration Status
Please refer to the glossary of terms used to describe the registration status.
Minimum Degree Fee
Equivalent to 2 regular academic years of full-time studies
11 regular sessions (5.5 regular academic years) | sample timetable
6 regular academic years
To Maintain Part-Time Status, students:
- Are subject to the same academic regulations as full-time students, as outlined on the iSchool’s website, as well as the School of Graduate Studies(SGS) calendar.
- May enroll in a maximum of three half courses (3.0 FCEs) per academic year
- May enroll in a maximum of two half courses (1.0 FCE) per session
- Are normally required to complete core/required courses prior to enrolling in elective courses
- Choose courses from the iSchool timetable or other units as permitted
- Must be continuously registered if following the thesis option
- Are expected to come to the iSchool for course-related activities such as: tutorials; help sessions and special demonstrations; consultation with instructors; and participation in group assignments
- May not hold internal iSchool fellowships or other incoming awards
- Are subject to the Minimum Degree Fee
Part-Time Special (Non-Degree) Students
May take 0.5 FCE per session to a maximum of 3.0 FCE in each academic year of study as approved by the Faculty. Work completed as a Special Student will not count for degree credit.
- Many courses, including core and required courses, are only offered during the day
- The MI degree program is not designed to be completed with evening classes only
- Summer session is considered optional and only elective courses may be offered
Changing To Full-Time Status
- Full-time and part-time designations are based on registration status, not number of courses taken. Dropping courses does not automatically change a student’s registration status
- Students may change from part-time to full-time status at any time.
- Reverting to part-time status is subject to the regulations for changing from full-time to part-time status.
- Students must submit a written request, including student number, for status change to the iSchool Registrar.
Glossary of Terms
One academic term, either:
- Fall – September to December
- Winter – January to April
- Summer – May to August
The Fall session or Winter session
The consecutive period spanning the Fall, Winter and Summer sessions.
Regular Academic Year
The consecutive period spanning the Fall and Winter sessions.
Full course equivalent
This term refers to the period of time (in regular sessions or regular academic years) students are expected to take to complete their program according to the program’s design.
Minimum Degree Fee (MDF)
- The Minimum Degree Fee is the fee associated with the Program Length for each graduate master’s program and represents the minimum amount of tuition that every student, regardless of registration option or status, must pay upon completion of the program prior to graduation
- All students are subject to tuition and fees for each required session and year of registration, including sessions following the defined Program Length, until the program is completed
- The actual time to complete a program may vary for individual students, however, students will always need to at least pay the Minimum Degree Fee
- Students who finish the degree program requirements in less time than the defined Program Length, regardless of registration option, will be subject to a Balance of Degree Fee which is the Minimum Degree Fee less tuition fees already paid by the student
Time Limit: Part-Time
Part-time students must complete all degree requirements within 6 regular academic years as per the School of Graduate Studies regulations (Section 6.6 of SGS Calendar). Students who are not able to complete all their degree requirements within their time limit may request an extension. See Section 7.1.11 of SGS Calendar.